Upgrading to AEM 6.1? – Ten Challenges You May Encounter (Part 2)
In our first blog post, we presented five technical challenges that organizations have commonly witnessed during their upgrade to Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) 6.1. As TA Digital has worked with many clients through this important transition, we’re sharing the knowledge we’ve gained.
Here are five more technical areas that may need special attention as you move to AEM 6.1:
6. Copy/Move Functions – Because the underlying repository for AEM 6.1 has changed, it affects all of your stored content—and often your ability to copy/move certain components. We’ve found that the WYSIWYG editor will work for most of AEM’s default components, as well as many simple components and text, but if you have complex or composite components with many interdependencies, they may not work and will need special handling.
7. Revamped Client Context – Client context functionality was revamped in AEM 6.1, so if your applications depend heavily on this capability, it should be reviewed carefully to make sure all your desired features still work correctly. This is one of the intricate details that can be overlooked with simple regression testing.
8. Updated Authentication Handler – Another thing updated in AEM 6.1 is the authentication handler, which now offers several new features. If your existing application depends on the authentication handler, you need to verify it follows the new standards.
9. Get in Sync with Java 8 – Here’s another best practice: To optimize your AEM 6.1 performance, make sure your application code is compatible with Java 8. While the previous version of AEM still worked with Java 7, you won’t get the maximum benefit from AEM 6.1 without Java 8.
10. Access Control – Rep: policy and access control features have changed significantly with the AEM 6.1 release. For example, the Oakrun compaction tool now requires a permission reset, and you’ll need to run this tool on a regular basis. Other tools are also available for additional functionality. Regardless of which tools your specific application may require, we strongly suggest you take some time to examine the new access control process.
If your organization needs help with the upgrade to AEM 6.1, let TA Digital be your guide. We offer the deep product knowledge, hands-on transition experience and the technical workarounds required to make your transition a smooth one.
Explore Additional Resources
Learn more on how to select the right CMS for your business and improve your customer’s Digital Experience.
Our Adobe Experience Cloud Consulting team specializes in helping you deliver a seamless, intelligent, and personalized customer experience.
GET HELP FROM OUR EXPERTS
We have one of the largest and deepest multi-solutions digital consulting teams in the world. Our proprietary processes and years of Digital Experience expertise have earned us a 97% customer satisfaction rating with our clients ranging from Global Fortune 1000 to Mid-Market Enterprises, leading educational institutions, and Non-Profits.
Contact us today to see how we can help your organization with your next Sitecore project.
About TA Digital
TA Digital is the only global boutique agency that delivers the “best of both worlds” to clients seeking to achieve organizational success through digital transformation. Unlike smaller, regional agencies that lack the ability to scale or large organizations that succumb to a quantity-over-quality approach, we offer resource diversity while also providing meticulous attention to the details that enable strategic success.
Over the past 20 years, TA Digital has positioned clients to achieve digital maturity by focusing on data, customer-centricity and exponential return on investment; by melding exceptional user experience and data-driven methodologies with artificial intelligence and machine learning, we enable digital transformations that intelligently build upon the strategies we set into motion. We are known as a global leader that assists marketing and technology executives in understanding the digital ecosystem while identifying cultural and operational gaps within their business – ultimately ushering organizations toward a more mature model and profitable digital landscape.
Recognized in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2019 Inc. 5000 list as one of the most successful technology companies in the United States, TA Digital is pleased also to share high-level strategic partnerships with world class digital experience platform companies like Adobe, SAP and Salesforce and possess global partnerships with industry leaders such as Sitecore, Episerver, Elastic Path, BigCommerce, AWS, Azure and Coveo.