TA Digital Joins the W3C to Advance Standardization of Digital Marketing
It was the “Who’s Who” of digital marketing, privacy and ad technology—about 50 members of a global elite who gathered to discuss the future of the digital marketing industry and the emerging need for global compliance standards to promote interoperability and sustained growth.
On, Sept. 17-18 in Tampa, Fl., the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Adobe and Nielsen Solutions hosted a two-day workshop called, “The Web and Digital Marketing Convergence: What’s Missing? What’s Next?”
The ultimate goal of the W3C is to create a global standard for digital. TA Digital was honored to be part of this first digital marketing workshop and far-reaching discussion, with Saravana Sivanandham, Practice Director for Adobe Digital Marketing, among the contributors.
“Currently, there are no global standards for digital marketing—and yet they are much needed,” said Saravana. “This meeting was just the first step in a long journey to define and create those standards. I’m excited to be a part of this group, and I’m encouraged about the direction the conversation is headed. I’m also proud to represent TA Digital in this important discussion.”
Saravana joined the prestigious group that included market researchers, academics and industry leaders from the U.S, the European Union, China, Japan, Korea and Brazil, as well as senior architects and product managers from some of the biggest names in the business—Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple and Mozilla.
W3C Standards Will Support a Better Experience for All Digital Citizens
During the W3C workshop sessions, participants brought their own digital marketing experiences to the table and discussed the current gaps and potential areas for standardization. Topics of conversation included:
1) Digital marketing antipatterns: The discussion touched on the negative consequences of anti-patterns; malvertising (and the need for better screening/detection); inescapable user tracking; accidental data exposure; and the need for standard social sharing options at the browser level (instead of the web page level) to improve efficiency.
2) Omnichannel ad identification and attribution: Participants discussed the need for ad identification across all media, platforms and technologies; the measurement of attributes across channels to evaluate ad effectiveness; structured data for ads, SEOs and social sharing; and protection against bots serving content using fake sites.
3) Analytics: Groups discussed the need for open data collection standards; transparency in data collection; seamless migration across vendors and platforms; user control at the browser level to determine what data can be collected; and measuring media consumption across devices and channels.
4) Content and ad security: The conversation covered the use of https for confidentiality, integrity and authentication for digital marketing; content encryption; the drawbacks of mixed content; and server–side ad insertion.
5) Transparency: Participants shared about building the trustworthiness of digital marketing; transparency about user information; how ad relevance is determined; tools to improve online management of personal data; data licensing agreement standards between platform providers and end users; and data-driven advertising.
Follow-up meetings to further define these areas are scheduled to take place every few months over the next year. Check back here at our blog for further updates from Saravana about the challenges facing digital marketing, and how the proposed W3C standards could improve the user experience.
Explore Additional Resources
We have a team of experts to help you select the right Digital Marketing platform for your business.
Our organization assists you with improving your marketing strategies. Select the best Digital Strategy to boost your business.
GET HELP FROM OUR EXPERTS
We have one of the largest and deepest multi-solutions digital consulting teams in the world. Our proprietary processes and years of Digital Experience expertise have earned us a 97% customer satisfaction rating with our clients ranging from Global Fortune 1000 to Mid-Market Enterprises, leading educational institutions, and Non-Profits.
Contact us today to see how we can help you with your Digital Marketing Analytics initiatives.
About TA Digital
TA Digital is an innovative digital transformation agency, specializing in delivering the digital experience, commerce, and marketing solutions. For nearly two decades, we have been helping traditional businesses transform and create dynamic digital cultures through disruptive strategies and agile deployment of innovative solutions.