The Complete Checklist for a Flawless ATG 11.3 Migration
The ecommerce market is volatile. Technologies change fast and every few months, new ways of doing business emerge, with new methods to attract more customers, and new technologies to predict more accurately. To keep pace with this fast-evolving technology landscape, it is imperative for businesses to upgrade their website with the latest available tools and technologies.
Also, if you want your platform to support third-party integrations, you would not want your code base to be depreciated. This means that you may need to consider upgrading to the current version. The cost and efforts of upgrading to a new platform may increase as your platform grows old depending on volume.
Before ATG 11.3 upgrade or migration
To help enterprises deliver superior customer experiences, Oracle frequently enhances the features and functionalities of the ATG ecommerce solution. But for businesses, the migration process is tedious and requires hours of planning and analysis. I have listed out the key points to be considered when you are about to execute a platform migration.
- Check the supported environments on the My Oracle Support website. Make sure you are running a supported version of your application server, JDK, database server, and JDBC driver.
- Make sure you have a backup of your Oracle Commerce Platform database.
- If you are using ATG BCC, back up publishing and publishing agent directories – It should include CIM-generated directories under /home/servers/ atg_publishing_lockserver/publishing, and atg_production_lockserver/PublishingAgent. Also, don’t forget to backup /home/Publishing directory.
- If you have configured Oracle ATG Content Administration, make sure you complete all the projects in it.
- Make sure you process all reporting event logs. On the data warehouse load server, execute the load all available method on all loaders in /atg/reporting/datawarehouse/ loaders/
- Before you begin, you need to shut down all Oracle Commerce servers and any search engines running in your environment.
- Delete server instances, EAR files, and data sources from the application server you are using.
- You may not be able to upgrade certain portions of Oracle ATG eCommerce 11.3. Oracle does not support running different versions of Oracle Commerce Platform products together. For instance, you can’t use BCC from ATG 11.2 on ATG 11.3 platform.
What are the challenges for legacy system?
- Most businesses have complex systems working behind the scenes to complete the purchase process. Often, different platforms are used in the whole system and a lot of effort goes into making these systems communicate with each other. Integration is possible either through the SOAP service call or REST service call or through some backend job or schedulers.
- Depending on the customization and configurations, all the dependent data or configurations should be studied carefully and retained.
- The migration will be more expeditious if at least one member from the teams is involved in discussing these points before starting migration.
- The existing systems will support the new environment or need to be upgraded. Make sure you understand what precautions need to be taken to make sure the systems will work as expected.
- At a database level, customized tables, columns, and relationships need to be retained. The migration may bring some changes to the existing table structure. Some columns may be added and few may be deleted.
TA digital has a decade of experience in implementing ecommerce solutions for the most complex business models. Please feel free to reach out for any of your ecommerce requirements.
Get Help from Our Experts
Over the past 19 years, we have completed thousands of digital projects globally. We have one of the largest and deepest multi-solutions digital consulting teams in the world. Our Commerce Martech services can help you deliver effective multichannel commerce campaigns that increase sales. We can help you deploy chatbots to serve as a concierge for your customers, providing them with a high touch personalized shopping experience and seamless low-cost customer journey. Talk to our team of Digital Commerce Experts today.
DesignRush has recognized TA Digital as a top eCommerce Agency.
About TA Digital
TA Digital is the only global boutique agency that delivers the “best of both worlds” to clients seeking to achieve organizational success through digital transformation. Unlike smaller, regional agencies that lack the ability to scale or large organizations that succumb to a quantity-over-quality approach, we offer resource diversity while also providing meticulous attention to the details that enable strategic success.
Over the past 20 years, TA Digital has positioned clients to achieve digital maturity by focusing on data, customer-centricity and exponential return on investment; by melding exceptional user experience and data-driven methodologies with artificial intelligence and machine learning, we enable digital transformations that intelligently build upon the strategies we set into motion. We are known as a global leader that assists marketing and technology executives in understanding the digital ecosystem while identifying cultural and operational gaps within their business – ultimately ushering organizations toward a more mature model and profitable digital landscape.
Recognized in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2019 Inc. 5000 list as one of the most successful technology companies in the United States, TA Digital is pleased also to share high-level strategic partnerships with world class digital experience platform companies like Adobe, SAP and Salesforce and possess global partnerships with industry leaders such as Sitecore, Episerver, Elastic Path, BigCommerce, AWS, Azure and Coveo.